The past few weeks here in Boston have been chilly and damp, which means I have been in the mood for red wine and comfort food, a great excuse to peruse Pinterest for a new recipe to try. When I saw a pin for Pumpkin Coconut Curry with Chicken from The Wicked Noodle blog, it looked like a perfect one-pot meal for a cold rainy Fall day.
The recipe had the makings of a wonderful Fall meal. A thick stew-like meal with seasonal pumpkin and butternut squash. It includes cumin and curry which gives it a smoky taste with just a slight touch of heat. Add coconut milk and you have a nice flavor profile – savory with a bit of sweetness.
When making the recipe I followed pretty closely with the recipe as laid out by Kristy from The Wicked Noodle. Following her suggestion of adding the curry and cayenne early on in the recipe was the way to go. It really helped bring out the flavors – great suggestion.
One thing I did change was to add a little brown sugar to the recipe. As I was putting together the curry and doing little tastes to see how everything was melding together, I was waiting for the touch of sweetness to come through. I expected it would come out when I added the coconut milk – a natural sweetener. Unfortunately, I didn’t get that taste as I had expected. So, always one up for an experiment, I added about 1/3 cup brown sugar to the mix. The result – perfection! Exactly the flavor I was expecting.
This recipe is for sure a keeper – a wonderful go to for a cool Sunday dinner in the Fall. Enjoy!
- 3 tblsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 tblsp. minced ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1 cup coconut milk (not sweetened)
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 large pinch cayenne powder
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped into bite-sized pieces and roasted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnishing
- Rice Select Texmati Rice, cooked, for serving
- Heat 2 tblsp. olive oil in a large stew pot over high heat. Add chicken and cook on high heat until browned on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add remaining 1 tblsp. olive oil to pot. Add onion and ginger as well as curry and cayenne powder. Cook for a few minutes until onion is soft. Add garlic and cook for about one minute more.
- Add tomatoes, brown sugar and pumpkin puree to pan. Cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add broth and coconut milk; bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken and butternut squash and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice and serve.